Friday 4 February 2011

Little Men

I went shopping over the weekend for my 3 year old and my 9 month old boys.  It was pretty depressing. Row after row of pretty, sweet, girly clothes. Sequins and frills. Bright colours. Leggings, tights, skirts, tutus, sparkly things. Girly things. 



































The boys rail was less than half the size, full of blue, beige the odd “fun t-shirt” and not much else! Why do we dress our boys as little men and not as little boys?  Why do we put our boys in plaid shirts at 2 years old? A boy goes to a party. We dress him in a shirt and a nice pair of trousers. If it’s a really special doo, he might wear a jacket (of course in navy or the equivalent!)Pretty much what his father would wear.  A girl will wear a pretty pink, girly dress. Or sparkly things.  Clothes that only a child would wear, not her mother.

I want my boys to be boys. I want them to be individuals. I want them to be confident in who they are. Why do we then try and make them look like every other boy and then expect them as men to have imaginations

No comments:

Post a Comment